Monday, January 24, 2011

Home Schooling??

What are your thoughts on Home Schooling?  Have I been thinking about it, yes.  Do I really want to home school, do I have the brains to do it, do I have the patience to do it.....  NO, then why do I keep having these nagging thoughts that I should look into it?  Whitney is in Preschool right now and LOVES it.  Her teacher loves her and even favors her a little. She lights up when I tell her its time for school.   I feel good and feel like she is safe when I drop her off.    Why would I want to deny her of that?  I know the pros and cons, trust me.   Maybe its that thing called "Agency" that frightens me.  I know my kids need to make their own choices without mommy stepping in, but sometimes (ok, always) I want to shield them for as long as possible.  Its been a nightmare for me to even get pregnant and have my little girls and who knows if I will be able to have anymore (that breaks my heart unlike anything)  I guess I just can't handle handing them over to the world.  Things are different these days.  Down right scary.  I'm not old, but when I was little I use to ride my bike downtown to the candy store with a friend.  I use to walk to school.  Would I ever let me kids do either of those things now NO WAY!  Anyway, these are my thoughts today.  I guess its a good thing I have a couple years to figure this one out.

9 comments:

tbergsjo said...

Ha ha! Haven't we all been there. I don't think anyone but family watched Allisen until she was three and even at that I would about hyperventilate if I was gone too long. School scared me to death and still does. There are pros and cons to both. I always like to tell my self that I can't protect them forever and being a love and logic lover, I decided I would like them to make little mistakes while they were little rather than getting out in the world and making mistakes that can't be undone. With that being said do I know Allisen's teachers, yep, do I volunteer so I can be part of the school and know what is going on, yep. I think you can still protect them just in different ways. I think being educated is important but then remember it is in the Lords hands. Pray and do what is best for you and your family :).

Renee said...

I am super involved with PTA, in the classroom, and I help with books at the school. I know many people that home school and love it...it just isn't for me. I think we need to be involved with our kids education however we think is appropriate. They know that I am there a few days a week and have great relationships with each of their teachers. School is scary, but it is my feeling that it is better for them to learn to adapt now then to be sheltered and have to adapt to much bigger issues later. I agree, I want to keep them little forever! It is my hope that our home is a place of refuge that they want to come home to and bring their friends to also. Tough decisions! Good luck! :)

Stephanie said...

You are a wonderful mom! I know what you mean about wanting to always keep your kiddos safe, I feel the same way.

Kasi said...

I've been thinking about it too!! I try to be really involved at school, but you can only be there so much of the time. If I could figure out a way for my kids to have regular social interactions, I would do it in a heartbeat!

easleyfamily said...

I think there are STRONG pro's and con's in both directions...it all comes down to what is best for YOUR child at the time!

JO*MOMMY*LONG*LEGS said...

OOHhh!!! I'm so on the same page and Jackson is only three too! It scares me to death. He is in preschool too and loves it . . . the next step up is 3 hours a day, twice a week . . . and I'm struggling with that! LOL! To be worried about school this early is crazy . . . but it's me! :) Good Luck. I'll love to hear the future thoughts and decisions on this one!

The Redford Family said...

I never would have thought to do home schooling. But now that my kids are in school, I can see whynpeople so it. The teachers are ok. We have had a couple great ones. But the things the kids say, that they learn from other kids is not great at all. This world is getting worse by the minute. I was hoping Utah was better. But I am sure it us getting bad there too. You would do awesome at home schooling. I think it is great as long as the kids still gave a great social life. Oh and Lindsay is my skinny cute cousin. I love her. It is fun knowing one famous Utah girl bags is a great weather girl.

The Redford Family said...

Sorry my auto correct messed up some if my words.

Rachel said...

I home school Hyrum and I love it! (most days...) We didn't chose to home school to shelter him, we do it so that we have more time together as a family. I love having him home and spending time with my kids during the day. He went to school last year (1st grade) and I felt like I hardly ever saw him. We also have a different situation then most people with Jon only at the office 2 1/2 days a week. We go and do a lot and last year Hyrum missed a ton of school. If Jon's work schedule changes we may reconsider home schooling.